Monday 25 May 2015

Spring in the garden...


A few weeks ago I posted about the changes I had made to the front garden. Over the past few weeks it has also been heartening to see that the work I did in the back garden throughout last summer and autumn is starting to come to fruition.

After stripping out all of the overgrown shrubs, I was left with some quite bare garden borders and an unwell looking lawn...
September 2014

Over the autumn I planted ten hydrangea bushes which have come into leaf and three standard roses. The grass has also mostly recovered, with a few uneven spots on which I am still working. I'm pleased with the basic structure of the garden, but while there are a few lovely signs of spring (not least the lovely crab apple in the back corner), it has also helped me to plan the work I wish to undertake this year to ensure earlier spring interest (bulbs....lots of bulb planting!). Heidi, of the lovely Adelaide Villa blog, has also suggested that I can help reduce the impact of the expanse of somewhat ugly fencing by painting it a dark charcoal. I am quite keen to do this and have pinned many pictures for inspiration - however, after the 15 hours of painting that was the marathon involved in painting the front picket fence, I think I need to rebuild my motivation and energy before I do so...

Here is how the garden looks as of two weekends ago...





...and I eventually decided to pull out the brightly yellow coloured but very spiky berberis and now have a lovely camellia gracing that space instead...

1 comment:

  1. The garden is coming along so well! I'm quite envious of all your spring blossom - I'm definitely in the end of autumn phase with lots of bare branches and some leaves still clinging on that are gold and red. As for the fence - hire a spray gun! We did that, you do go through more paint, but it's far easier with the fence as you get good coverage. Just make sure it's not a windy day. Thanks for the mention!

    ReplyDelete