Sunday, 28 February 2016

The long-awaited bathroom reveal...



This blog has been quiet of late, but that is not to say that there has been no progress on the renovation front. Over the past six months I've been chipping away on changes to the cottage bathroom. With the other rooms in the house, I've tended to work industriously for a week to get all of the work done at once. Mainly due to needing to wait for tradesman availability, I did the bathroom work little by little...and I think that makes me all the more pleased with the outcome.

First, let's remember where this room started...

It was dark, but with a lovely original fireplace and edwardian style bathroom fixtures that I quite liked.



However, I was not so enamoured with the cobalt blue walls, the slate-effect lino floor covering and modern radiator.

Work started back in August of last year. I primed the walls which made a huge difference, and had a plumber install a more appropriate period radiator...


Then I started to work on the fireplace. This chimney is capped and I was fairly certain that I would repaint, but I did want to strip off the layers of yellowing gloss paint...
Before

During

After (before repainting)

The bathroom floor had been worrying me as it was quite bouncy in places. I wasn't sure if this just due to loose floorboards or a more serious problem with the joists. So I had a handyman come to lift the floor and check...


He managed to cut through a water pipe necessitating an emergency call to the plumber...the good news was that the boards and joists were in good condition. The floor was then ready to have a new, lighter coloured lino flooring laid.

The ugly bath panel definitely had to go, and I used tongue and groove mdf to make a new panel...


Finally, my lovely electrician returned and replaced the ceiling light and installed two wall scones for me...
Before

After

Finally, it was just up to me to paint and install new towel holders and robe hooks etc. I returned to my favourite Little Greene intelligent eggshell paint for the walls. I had intended to use the same colour as in the kitchen and main bedroom, but the slight pink-beige tinge to the wall tiles meant that wasn't possible. Instead I chose a pale grey with a warmer undertone (wood ash) that I'm very happy with.

So finally, here is the result:










And one final before and after...


It is such a pleasure now to walk into this room. Now onto the next project...

2 comments: