Saturday 10 August 2013

Royalty and Shakespeare...


On L's last full day in London we entertained ourselves with two of the most famous things about England...royalty and Shakespeare. We packed a picnic lunch and wandered down the road to visit Kew Gardens. Before enjoying our lunch we spent some time in Kew Palace (part-time home of George III and Queen Charlotte and their thirteen children! (Charlotte actually had 15 children but two died during their early years).

In the evening we headed into town to visit the Globe Theatre.


I did a tour of the Globe well over a decade ago, but am again ashamed to say that I had never seen a production there. When I knew the dates of L's trip I booked us tickets to see The Tempest. I'm somewhat lazy so was a bit dismayed that by the time I booked there were only yard standing tickets left. But, on a lovely summer's evening we joined the crowd in the yard and enjoyed the play just as theatre-goers would have 400 years ago....and despite a little bit of fidgeting back and forth from foot to foot, and a brief sit down at interval, the loveliness and humour of the production kept us enthralled. Where else can you see world class theatre for £5 a ticket? I can highly recommend The Tempest. Roger Allam was brilliant as Prospero, but the whole case and production was excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment