Thursday 25 April 2013

St Louis Zoo and Forest Park

The hospital complex where I am working this week (St Louis Children's Hospital, Jewish Barnes Hospital and Washington University Medical School), including the hotel where I am staying, is across the road from the lovely Forest Park.

The weather when I arrived on the weekend was lovely, and so on Sunday I set off on my now routine Sunday morning exploration (I'm thinking this is a habit I should try and continue when I get home to London). I walked through the park and spent several hours at the zoo - in actual fact this walk was a little longer than it looked on the map, and probably took me at least 45 mins each way...but the park is lovely, the weather was sunny, and there were a lot of people out and about enjoying the morning.

St Louis zoo is known to be one of the best zoos in the world...and I was astounded that it was free entry. It has a long time since I've been to a zoo, but from memory they are generally quite expensive (at least the one in Sydney is). My only disappointment was that the giraffes were inside their home and not able to be seen roaming in their enclosure - and I do love giraffes. But, there were certainly many other animals out enjoying their enclosures...

...and there were quite a few signs of spring within the zoo as well...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment